Spring is upon us. Spring is a synonym of beautiful blooms, ducklings waddling by the lakes and warmer temperatures, and the infamous eye allergies. There are two kinds of allergies: Seasonal caused by pollen from the blooms, weeds, and grasses. And perennial which is found throughout the year and caused by dust, smoke, and animals.
Here are 10 ideas to help you navigate the allergy season:
- If pollen count is high, and you have the luxury to postpone appointments, do not go outside.
- Do not wear contact lenses. Contacts can accumulate airborne allergens making your eyes very irritated.
- Rinse your eyes with Saline Solution. A quick eye wash will clean your eyes from the allergens.
- Use over the counter drops. Decongestants or antihistamine drops can control redness and itchiness in your eyes.
- < Cold Therapy. A clean cold washcloth over your closed eyes will assist in bring down any inflammation.
- Wash your face and hands. This is always important but essential for allergy season.
- Wear sunglasses. Sunglasses will shield your eyes from any airborne allergen like pollen and dust.
- Bed and pillows must be cleaned frequently. Bed linens can accumulate dust mites if not cleaned regularly.
- Take care of your home and office environment. Make sure filters are changed frequently, keep your house and office clean and close the windows during pollen season. When floors are being cleaned, it is a good idea to utilize a wet cloth to clean floors to avoid bringing any dust back to the air.
- Do not rub your eyes! If you rub your eyes you are acerbating the situation for your eyes
If you follow most of the tips given you will be able to enjoy your spring season. These few recommendations will enable you to have fun during this lovely season. If the conditions persist, please call our office at 561-732-8005.